Linggo, Hunyo 26, 2011

When Borro Met God as Told by Jun and Joji Borromeo




Their names...

Jun: I am Jun Borromeo, fondly called Borro by friends,  I graduated from PMA in 1989, and right after, I joined the defunct Philippine Constabulary.  When I was 2nd Lieutenant, I was very active in our campaign against insurgency. I earned numerous military medals and commendations for gallantry in action. I was meritoriously promoted on the spot twice .  In 2004, I was awarded as one of the Country’s Outstanding Policemen in the Service (COPS) given by Metrobank Foundation and finally,  in 2005 I bagged the highest individual award given by PMA to its Alumni in the PNP---the PMA Cavalier Award for Police Efficiency. I have been assigned to various positions in NCR, Southern and Northern Luzon and had experienced the perks and privileges of being in position. I have experienced many trials in my life and in my career as a police officer but during those times, I did not come to know God. My career was my priority more than my family; I enjoyed my life being always in the limelight. I thought that I can always get any position that I want through my own ways, and that a successful career in the PNP can only be achieved through good service reputation and connections.

I am Joji Borromeo, I am at present a municipal councilor of our municipality. I had been in public service for almost 25 years now having been elected to office as kb president, municipal councilor, provincial board member and now councilor again, respectively. A devoted catholic s manifested with my vow to attend novenas at Baclaran every first Wednesday until i came to know who my real God is.


The Trial...

Jun: In July 2008, the greatest trial came into my life. I was charged as protector of an illegal drug laboratory in La Union. As a result, I was relieved as Chief of Police of Dagupan City Police Station and transferred to Camp Crame. I was suspended for three months pending the result of the initial investigation. I received humiliation both in print and broadcast media. I was rejected by some of my  friends . I have no one to ask for comfort except my wife and my children and my mistahs. During the darkest moment of my life I was contemplating to commit suicide to put an end to my misery and to spare my family from further humiliation. I was full of anxiety, fear, pain, and depression. I began to take anti-depressants so I could sleep. I cannot even think nor feel hunger and I began to lose a lot of weight.

Joji: This trial came at the time when  my father suffered a mild stroke and we had to stay at the hospital for a couple of weeks. I was 6 months pregnant then with our youngest. Being a public figure is not easy as we are easily subjected to ridicule and intrigues, and this issue against my husband was a big blow to our family especially our children. I had to deal with my husband because i knew that he needed me the most that time. I had to brace myself then because i had my children to look after and a sick father and a devastated husband who that time had gone weary and weak and the only way I knew then was to ask him to pray. But knowing my husband, he was not a prayerful person so I had to deal with him psychologically. I brought him to our doctor friend who is a psychiatrist and he was given medications which could only give temporary relief. One day he called me and hearing those words from him was like a dagger that hit & stuck in my heart---i was in the province then tending to my father and my 3rd child who then was in grade 3 so i need to appease him and trying all my best to shield him from humiliation but I thank god that he was spared…i really didn’t know how to handle my husband as he was 450 kms away from me---i wanted to fly that time because I was scared he might not listen to me—I prayed hard and thought of calling my christian friend and ask for a pastor’s number whom he could call and talk with while i was still preparing to travel to be with him.

The Call...

Jun: In August 18, 2008, I was convinced that the only solution to my problem was to put an end to my life. But while I was looking for a place to commit suicide, my wife suddenly called me up on my cell phone. She told me that doing it was a display of selfishness,  that I was only thinking of myself, and besides, who will take care of our children? I can no longer see my youngest child who was not yet born then because my wife was seven months pregnant at that time. She told me to just pray to God and that was the only time that God came into my mind. So I asked her if she knows someone who can help bring me to God. She immediately texted me the cell phone number of Pastor Bob Livioco of the Foundation Baptist Church.  Although I have not met him personally, right away I texted him this message, “Good evening Pastor, I am Jun Borromeo.  I am in distress; I want to get closer to God”.  Pastor Bob asked for my landline number and he called me. We had a long conversation. I told him about my problem and in response he told me the greatness of God, that God would never let me down, that I could always count on His faithfulness. Then he shared to me the Gospel and the doctrine of salvation. Before the end of our conversation he asked me if I was ready to accept Jesus in my life as my Lord and Savior, and at that very moment, I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ through the telephone. While we were praying, I cried uncontrollably and I strongly felt the presence of God in my room. And a peace that I could not explain came over me. I felt that the burden in my chest has disappeared. That was my first personal encounter with God.
       
My anxiety, fear, and depression were all gone. I was back to normal. I could sleep soundly without taking anti-depressants and my appetite was restored. I felt an insatiable hunger to know God personally.  I started to attend Bible study every week and regularly attended Sunday worship services. I spent most of my time reading the Bible and Christian books and learned to pray to God everyday. In November 2008, the case against me was dismissed by the DOJ but I know that it was not the end of our trials. I learned that Christian life is not a problem-free life.  We have to carry the cross if we decide to follow Jesus.

Jojie: I really praise God that he was enlightened by the pastor’s sharing—I was a bit relieved but realities would still haunt us and we have to face the charges against him. One day he related to me his encounters as he started attending Sunday services at a born-again church. I wasn’t really sold out on the idea that he would be joining a born-again group. Little did I know that I too was like the rest of you then is a lost soul. I was in great quandary that time because I saw in his eyes that he already made a decision, I felt bad. It was like I was in a crossroad thinking about our family—when my husband couldn’t join us in church already. How would I explain it to my children. My husband never shared the gospel for fear that I might reject him but I noticed a dramatic transformation in him. Truly god listens to prayers, he and my Christian friends stormed heavens with prayers that I join them…and one day I  started asking my husband about God’s word and I would listen intently—till I came with a decision to join him which greatly surprised him, on January 11, 2009 I accepted Jesus as my personal savior and lord. Things then became different in our family---now we have to deal with our children who then were also not inclined to become born-again Christians, but praise god after attending a youth retreat conducted by CCF – they now are active members of  Jzone. My eldest son Darwin conducts his bs with his cousins and has shared the doctrine of salvation to them, our daughter is now acting as facilitator in youth camps, and our 3rd son Dionel who at his young age is now boldly sharing the gospel in his school.-, and our baby Danielle who is now 2 years old is yet to be dedicated.



The Second Trial...

Jun: One fateful day in February 2009, the case against me was re-filed due to religious and political pressure. And finally in May 23 2009, a warrant of arrest was issued against me. Upon learning the sad news, my wife and I prayed hard to God. On bended knees we cried and asked for His wisdom, and God whispered to me that I must submit myself to authority and face the problem. We meditated on  (2 Chronicles 20:15) “For the battle is not yours, but God’s”. In May 25, 2009, I submitted myself to the PNP and I was detained at Camp Crame Detention Center. We filed a motion to the court requesting if I could remain in Camp Crame custody while undergoing the trial of my case, and again my wife and I prayed hard for it. We even asked our prayer warriors to pray for our petition. But after two days, I was ordered to be transferred to the La Union Provincial Jail. The judge denied my appeal. I was very frustrated, and began to question God. What was His purpose for allowing me to be detained in a place far away from my family. I came to a point of hopelessness and helplessness. I could not find the answer.

Jojie: Being in Christ is not a life free from trials—I realized it was a life where your faith is tested amidst the trials.  This brought another blow to our family especially our children---this experience would pierce my heart as i recall our encounters while bringing my husband inside his detention cell, where cellphone and other means of communication were prohibited. It could hardly sink in my system. Is this a bad dream? Is this true? I couldn’t find answers to my question.  My baby was just 6 mos old that time, she was with me although out the ordeal because she was purely breastfed so I need to tag her along all the time. After 2 days of detention at Camp Crame, I received a call telling me that my husband has to be transferred to La Union provincial jail…my whole body turned cold and could hardly breath. I tried my best to talk to some of his superiors hoping that they could do something, but. Ultimately we had no choice but to adhere to the orders of the court. We brought him to La Union with my baby – it was the longest trip of my life ever—as i instructed my driver not to go beyond 60 in speed….

God’s Blessing...

Jun: But God had a better plan for me. He placed me in a building where I can have quiet times with Him. I had access to the television, the DVD player, the cell phone, and the laptop computer. Although I was alone in that building I was allowed to receive visitors anytime of the day. God made me His VIP in detention, praise God! I have all the time to study the Bible, watch Pastor Peter Tanchi’s sermon on the DVD which my wife and friends gave me every time they visit. I had a lot of opportunity to study Christian books and a longer prayer time. I learned to surrender everything to God, and found out that the greatest form of worship is total surrender to God’s will.

Jojie: Our life has changed a bit---I arrived manila with our innocent baby Danielle, she never knew what has happened, where my other 3 kids were waiting for us. I didn’t know how to divulge the news to them and so I asked our pastor friends to help me how to do it, we prayed for them and one day I had the courage to confess to them but I thank God that the timing were all great, where God gave them the wisdom, and strength to  accept the painful reality. There, our journey to a new chapter of our life has began. We frequent La Union provincial jail. We travel every weekend to keep Papa Jun company.

The Ministry...

Jun : After two months, God gave me a small ministry; I was joined by twelve (12) female inmates in the said building, and I found the answers to my questions.  God revealed to me His greater purpose in allowing me to spend my time in that particular jail. I organized a prayer meeting, everyday bible study, and Sunday worship service. All the twelve (12)female inmates surrendered their life to Jesus. Then I began to share the gospel to the jail guards, to the warden, to other male inmates, to my visitors, to the other inmates’ visitors; many came to know Jesus and surrendered their life to Him.

Jojie: The detention cell has become our second home and the inmates became our Christian family. We shared memories there and we thank god that he brought Papa Jun there for a mighty purpose, which is to know him more and to share his gospel to others.


Jun: God used me and my wife in my family. One by one, my  three (3) children personally surrendered their lives to Jesus and as of this writing my youngest child is assured of growing up in a God-fearing family. Right now my kids are witnessing for the Lord to their cousins and friends. My wife has also begun to serve the Lord; she leads a Bible study in our house and many of her relatives have come to know Jesus. She is also active in the church and has attended a seminar on parenting in preparation for our ministry in the future.

Joji: Back in Isabela, regular bible study were being conducted in our home,  my parents and other siblings and families joined us and some of them are now baptized children of god. My father and mother who were not so much inclined to the teachings of born-again has now accepted Jesus in their lives.


Jun Said: I developed a passion for preaching and I immersed myself in getting to know God more---His life, works, miracles, love, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, and ministry. I browsed the internet to listen to God’s message and read different kind of sermons; I studied books and manuals on how to prepare a sermon and how to become an efficient preacher.Even while I was incarcerated, God used that time for good. (Romans 8:28). When I surrendered my case to the Lord I could see that He was working behind the scenes. By passing through these tests, I developed perseverance (James 1:3). I also learned to forgive the people who are behind my misery. I did not grumble. I know that in God’s perfect timing, I will gain my physical freedom. I always meditate on Romans 8:28.  The Bible says that, “God works all things together for good for those who love Him and seek Him according to His purpose”.  As a result of my imprisonment, our financial status slowly went down the drain. I had no income. We depended solely on my wife’s income and from the financial assistance of my PMA classmates. Truly, God provides for all our needs. All we had to do was claim the promise of God in Philippians 4:19,”that He will provide all my needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus”.

Joji: By God’s grace our children continued their studies without the need to downgrade their schools. Our eldest is now 4th year it student at De Lasalle University, Our daughter is 2nd year college at University of Sto Tomas and our third son grade 6 at the Montesorri School in our place.  Truly if we obey God, He will never abandon us. Like what he said in Romans 8:31 if God is with us who can be against us.

God’s Second Blessing...

Jun:Last February 01, 2011 at 10 o’clock in the morning, I received a call from my wife. Our prayers were answered. Our petition for bail was granted. We were crying and dancing for joy. God does work in mysterious ways. But my happiness was hampered when I learned that my bail is 1 million pesos. I asked God, “God do you really want me to be free?  You granted my petition but gave me a million peso bail. How can I raise this big amount?”   We were instructed by my lawyer to produce the amount before 1 o’clock in the afternoon. Then I told God, “If you really want me to be free, You will provide. You know that it is impossible for me to produce that amount.” At exactly 1 o’clock in the afternoon of the same day, God provided the exact amount for my bail.  My PMA classmates learned about my predicament and immediately pitched in to raise the said amount. Really God is amazing! Our total dependence in Him paid off.  Last February 4 2011, when my superiors in the PNP learned that I was released from detention, I was ordered to report back for duty. God immediately restored my status in the PNP. Today I am standing before you as a man with temporary liberty but to my God, He gave me this freedom to be more of service to Him and I told my God to spend me in His way according to His plans. To my Creator---I give back all the glory and honor!

Joji: Now although my husband is just on temporary liberty, I can truly say that He is more liberated and free than most of those who think are free because in the eyes of God He is privileged because he is a child of God and has the freedom and right to boldly share the gospel to his people.  Now our family is more complete because we have God who is at the center of our hearts . Our disappointments were turned into blessings as this opened the doors of heavens for us. Thank you and to God be the glory.


3 komento:

  1. Naalis ng may-ari ang komentong ito.

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Praise God Bro. Jun... when u were still at Caloocan, we were all praying for u... ptr, birol and i were ministering to the police then at ccpo under gen. pagdilao (then colonel).... God works truly in mysterious ways..

    ptr. mon
    CORPS

    TumugonBurahin